Medicare Insurance Advising(SHIBA)
Medicare and Health Insurance – Skagit and Snohomish Counties
Insurance options for Medicare-eligible individuals
- Find affordable health insurance, prescription drugs, or health care for you and your family
- Learn about your rights and options
- Compare insurance plans and prices
- Understand government health programs
- Appeal a decision by your health plan
- Understand a bill from your doctor’s office
SHIBA (Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors) is a free, confidential and impartial counseling resource sponsored by the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner. Volunteer advisors will help you understand your rights and options, and offer up-to-date information so that you can make an informed decision concerning your health insurance needs.
SHIBA volunteers are highly trained to counsel Medicare-eligible residents of all ages regarding choices, options, and problems with private health insurance, affordable prescription drugs, and Medicare.
Public presentation and seminars are available to your group and/or organization. Please contact us for more details or to schedule an appointment.
Insurance options for individuals who are not Medicare-eligible
Washington Healthplanfinder offers a way to find health insurance through an online marketplace. You can compare and enroll in a health plan that best fits your budget and medical needs. Visit the website wahealthplanfinder.org which provides:
- Clear, concise comparisons of qualified health plans
- Financial help and tax credits to pay for copays and premiums, if eligible
Become a SHIBA volunteer
Help your friends, neighbors and family learn more about health insurance and public programs! Many volunteer opportunities available! SHIBA Volunteers receive 30 hours of basic health insurance training, monthly updates and ongoing supervision and support by a staff member of the Office of the Insurance Commissioner. Please contact Volunteer Coordinator at 425.514.3183 or 425.290.1276 for information.